New Store Hours
Our Store Hours are changing effective April 1st. Please take note!
Wednesday 10am - 4pm
Thursday 10am - 8pm
Friday 10am - 4pm
Saturday 10am - 4pm
Sunday 12pm - 4pm
(please see the About page of our website for the NEW Drop-In Help hours)
Squishy is a heavenly blend of merino and cashmere that lives up to its name. This hand-dyed yarn is such a dream to knit with, and comes in such a broad array of tonal colorways, that we decided to carry full and half-skeins at the store! The half-skeins are bundled in sets of five - a total of 835yds of yarn! Plenty to knit up an entire shawl or a child-sized sweater. These sets would make amazing sweater yokes too!
Pamela - Mariana, Nimbus, Clay, Rosebud and Plum
Katherine - Claret, Mauve, Madam, Shiitake and Frankle
Jennifer - Riot, Hibiscus, Elephant, Seafoam and Emerald
Elizabeth - Victoria, Dany, Bark, Keola and Herb
Juliana - Raspberry, Heidi, Irene, Au Natural and Navy
Pattern Ideas | Colourblind Shawl by Jana Huck, Lamina Wrap by Ambah O'Brien, Taurid Shawl by Taiga Hilliard Designs
Full Skeins Above (clockwise from top left) - Lapis, Lenore, Ballerina, Candy Apple, Pewter, Sexy, Seaside, Pesto
Yarncatcher Trunk Show Saturday April 6th!
Yarncatcher is one of our favorite indie dyers. Jacqueline's aesthetic is to die for (or is that to dye for?). Beautiful fingering weight that is perfect for so many projects. The yarn used for our Baubles samples is an example of Yarncatcher yarns and color combos. Come in and see all the beautiful choices!
If you're planning on taking our Baubles Shawl class with Pam Grushkin this would be the perfect time to pick out the yarn for your project!
Shown here - Bauble Shawl pattern by Andrea Mowry
News + Links
- Brooklyn Tweed is launching a new collection of marled colorways on April 10th! The new marls will be available in both Shelter and Loft. A free copy of the new Skipp Hat pattern will also be available with any purchase of two skeins of Loft!
- Making Magazine Issue 7: Desert will be available for pre-orders on April 1st. This issue is not to be missed, so reserve your copy soon!
- Do you ever wonder if your obsessed with knitting? Read 16 Signs You're Obsessed with Knitting to find out for sure.
- a North Carolina Water Fowl Group needs hand-knit, or crocheted nests for their baby birds. How sweet is this? Check out their website for information - including patterns and where to mail your finished nests.
- While on the subject of charity knitting, we have extended our deadline for Preemie Hats for The Tiny Miracles Foundation to April 31st.
We need to make room for all of the amazing new spring yarns we have coming in daily! To do so, we are having a 20% - 50% off SPRING SALE. The sale will be running from this Friday 3/22 to Sunday 3/24. We'll have a large selection of everything from cashmere to cotton, jumbo weight to sock weight. Come in early for the best selection!
Araucania Yumbrel DK
If you’re a fan of knitting or crocheting using cotton yarns, you’ll know that finding them in hand-dyed variegated, or speckled, colors is not an easy task! Katie, our resident crochet expert, loved the idea of stitching up a reusable market bag using our newest cotton yarn - Yumbrel DK from Araucania Yarns. It’s just one example of the many ways to use this super soft, brushed cotton yarn. Cotton is a fantastic choice for baby knits - as it’s easy to care for, machine washable,and breathable. Yumbrel DK would be a great choice for baby blankets, cardigans or pretty summer dresses.
Pattern : Market Bag by Haley Waxberg
New 7th Floor Yarns!
We recently received a delivery of Merino DK in brand new spring colorways from 7th Floor Yarns. They're available in both full skeins and 20g mini skeins! We also have their new Bejeweled Collection - a Merino Yak DK yarn dyed in an array of rich jewel tones. Its absolutely gorgeous! 7th Floor Yarns is a local independent yarn dyer in Mt. Kisco, NY. This mother/daughter duo really has a way with colors and we know you'll love using them for your spring projects!
New Spring Classes
We've added lots of new courses to our Class Schedule! Hop over to our website to peruse the latest offerings. Flat Foot Floogie, Skew Socks, Baubles Shawl, Intro to Brioche and Magic Loop Socks are some of Pam Grushkin's upcoming classes. We also have a Knitting III group with knitting extraordinaire, Jane Elliott.
Links n' Stuff
- Save the Date!! :: Yarncatcher Yarns will be at Westport Yarns for a Trunk Show on Saturday, April 6th! She'll be bringing her beautiful hand-dyed fingering weight yarns, which are perfect for anyone taking our Baubles Shawl class!
- New Store Hours :: Westport Yarns will be changing their store hours, effective April 1st. We will also be changing our free Knitting Drop-In help hours and policies, so stay tuned for more info soon...
- MDK March Madness :: Kay Gardiner and Ann Shayne of Mason Dixon Knitting have been fixtures in the knit blogging world for years. Not to be missed, their annual March Mayhem contest features a wonderful collection of some of the year’s best patterns by independent designers.. Check them out. Vote for your favorites. Discover your next (perhaps next 3!) project! Then stop by Westport Yarns and let us work with you to find the perfect yarn.
- Lever Knitting :: Ever wish you could knit faster? Felicia of SweetGeorgia Yarns has shared this fantastic video about Lever Knitting on her latest vlog. Also called Irish Cottage knitting, once mastered, this technique can really speed up your WIPs!
- The Year of Hats! :: Kelbourne Woolens is releasing a free hat pattern a month in their Year of Hats series. We love the two patterns they've released so far, and wanted to share them with you! You gotta love free hat patterns!
(image via Mason Dixon Knitting)
Julie, WY's Do-bee and store wordsmith.